Sunday, September 19, 2010

Routine on the run!

My latest epiphany happened when I was in the midst of desperately trying to create some kind of routine for my very earth bound virgo child, whilst packing my back pack in preparation to move onto the next place.

Is is just me or this a super weird image?

It really got me thinking and recognising just how much time and energy I put into trying to maintain some kind of rhythm and routine so that my little one can move through her days with more ease. I know this is an absolutely normal practice for the majority of mums that work with the idea that kids function better with some kind of routine and rhythm (I am obviously one of these) but to me it just seems a little contrary to our lifestyle somehow.

Here we are roaming around the globe with very few possessions (we have plenty at home in boxes!) trying to immerse ourselves into different cultures, thinking how wonderful this is for our little lotus flower and all the time I am subconsciously maintaining her security by keeping the rhythm that she loves and works best with.

I am talking about the little things like; the stories we read together in bed when we wake up in the morning or brushing our teeth after breakfast or washing our hands before we eat and of course the songs we sing as we lay in bed together at night before we go to sleep.

These simple things, these re-occurring moments mean so much to my little virgo girl.

What would it do to her if I totally let go of these small things that give each new day some similarity to the last and that provide her with the comfort of knowing at times what comes next?

Likewise, what would it be like for her to always be able to sit in her chair at the table and to always eat the same kind of food or to sleep in the same bed.... and always wake up in the same bed?

She has us... her mama and papa and we are always with her when she drifts off to sleep at night and always there when she opens her eyes in the morning.... but is that enough?

My virgo lotus is an amazing 2 year old that can remember all the words to nearly every nursery rhyme I have taught her, that can count to 10 in two languages and say hello in many. She is gentle, loving and toilet trained and as independent as we will allow her to be.

But is she blossoming as fully and totally as a child that has a permanent address?

I am not so sure anymore.

3 comments:

  1. Interesting thoughts here. Many believe stability is very important to little ones. I wonder sometimes if my little one even has enough routine in his life, and we do a lot of the same things every day, and in the same home.

    When I was reading this, I thought of when I was a child and how the most difficult part of vacations was sleeping in strange places and waking up to strange places. It was always such a relief to be back home just so I could sleep in my own bed. At least she has the familiarity of sleeping with her parents, though...

    I don't know....listen to your intuition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I literally just read this article after commenting here, and just because it's relevant, here's the URL: http://www.janetlansbury.com/2010/09/empowering-our-babies-with-rituals/

    ReplyDelete
  3. hello new sister... I am so happy to have met you and your dear Lotus child. I have seen you mama in action and I have seen your little one.. she is SO safe and grounded in her journey with you two... these journeys will only feed her deeply. Some of the gifts of thise phase may only manifest in many years to come... The rhythm you create for her (as you so know) is what is the constant.. THAT is her home. That is her base... not some fixed address... And when the time comes for fixed address... then that will be perfect too. I trust you. and she does too.

    ReplyDelete